The Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Paul (Maltese: Il-Katidral Metropolitan ta’ San Pawl), commonly known as St Paul’s Cathedral or the Mdina Cathedral, is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Mdina, Malta, dedicated to St. Paul the Apostle. The cathedral was founded in the 12th century, and according to tradition it stands on the site of where Roman governor Publius met St. Paul following his shipwreck on Malta. The original cathedral was severely damaged in the 1693 Sicily earthquake, so it was dismantled and rebuilt in the Baroque style to a design of the Maltese architect Lorenzo Gafà between 1696 and 1705. The cathedral is regarded as Gafà’s masterpiece.
The cathedral is the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Malta, and since the 19th century this function has been shared with St. John’s Co-Cathedral in Valletta.
Ħad-Dingli ila parroċċa minn qabel l-1463, fil-fatt huwa wieħed mill-eqdem irħula f’Malta li kellhom il-parroċċa tagħhom. Imma qabel il-parroċċa kienet taħt l-isem ta’ Ħal-Tartarni.
Illum il-ġurnata l-knisja parrokkjali ta’ Ħad-Dingli hija ddedikata lil Marija Assunta, jew aħjar lil Santa Marija, u l-festa f’ġieh din il-patruna ssir Ħadd wara l-15 ta’ Awissu.
This village has been a parish since before 1463. In fact it is one of the oldest villages in Malta that had their own parish. But before, the parish was under the name of Ħal-Tartarni.
Today the parish church of Ħad-Dingli is dedicated to the Assumption, or rather to St. Mary, and the feast in honour of this patron saint takes place on the Sunday after the 15th of August.
The site of the chapel of St.Bartholomew was chosen for the new church which commenced in 1610 on plans by Tommaso Dingli. The church has Doric and Baroque styles. The church was consecrated by Archbishop Paul Alphéran de Bussan on April 22, 1736.
The facade of the church was built in 1743. It is built in a style different from that of the interior of the church.
The old facade made by Dingli was quite different from the present one. It is slighting higher than the church roof and at the back of the frontispiece there are sculptured ornaments probably from the old church.
The Parish Church of Il-Mellieħa is dedicated to the Birth of Our Lady, and was built between 1881 and 1898. All the stone was cut from a nearby quarry at l-Aħrax tal-Mellieħa and transported up to Mellieħa by the local peasants, who worked laboriously to see their wish of having a new church come true.
Once the church’s building was completed, the Parish Priests Dun Franġisk Magri, Dun Carlo Cortis and Dun Indri Fenech endeavoured to embellish the interior.
Thus between 1920 and 1940 the belfries and dome were erected, five bells dedicated to St. Frances, St. Joseph, St. Anthony, St. Paul and the Virgin Mary were brought from Milan, and the church altars were decorated with paintings by the best Maltese artists, including the renowned Giuseppe Calì and Lażżru Pisani.
(Credit: David Muscat)
The Parish Church of Saint Joseph was designed by Richard England in 1962, and it was built between 1964 and 1974. It is one of the most iconic and innovative churches in Malta.
The church consists of curving walls, which are meant to create an element of intimacy, and their configuration recalls the Megalithic Temples of Malta. Another source of inspiration is the Notre Dame du Haut chapel by Le Corbusier, which also broke away from more conservative church designs in favour of sculptural forms. The overall form of England’s church is inspired by an abstracted interpretation of the girna, a type of traditional corbelled stone hut common in rural Malta.
The church is aimed to capture both human spirituality along with the peace associated with the natural environment surrounding it.
The people at Mġarr had been for a long number of years requesting that their small village church should become their parish church as they were too far away from Mosta.
Their wish was granted in 1898 and immediately the people started building their present church which was completed in 1946.
The Basilica of the Assumption of Our Lady, commonly known as the Rotunda of Mosta or the Mosta Dome, is a Roman Catholic parish church and Minor Basilica in Mosta, Malta, dedicated to the Assumption of Mary. It was built between 1833 and the 1860s to neoclassical designs of Giorgio Grognet de Vassé, on the site of an earlier Renaissance church which had been built in around 1614 to designs of Tommaso Dingli.
The design of the present church is based on the Pantheon in Rome, and at one point had the third largest unsupported dome in the world. The church narrowly avoided destruction during World War II, since on 9 April 1942 a German aerial bomb pierced the dome and fell into the church during Mass but failed to explode. This event was interpreted by the some Maltese as a miracle, but similar bombs did not explode as well.
The parish of Naxxar was the first to be established in the countryside of Malta. For a very long time the parish boundaries extended to the very north of the island.
Then in 1610 Għargħur and Mosta were established as separate parishes. The diminishing of parish boundaries was followed by the building of the present church, finished in 1630.
Moving on to the 19th century, in 1845 Mellieħa was also established as a separate parish followed by St. Paul’s Bay in 1905. This obviously reduced the boundaries once more. When the parish of Burmarrad was established Naxxar became an arch-matrix, a sort of grandmother church. In 1949 it had been honoured as an archparish, hence having an archparish priest.
In 2019 then it was upgraded to a collegiate church.
The area between St George’s Bay and Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq was a military area for several years. Catholic German war prisoners built a small chapel in the area.
When the British Forces left Malta the area became a residential area for maltese families and plans were drawn up by Architect Richard England to embellish the chapel. When the Ta’ L-Ibraġ pastoral area was established, Pembroke was attached to this area, but as the population of the area was growing continually, the Church authorities decided to create Pembroke as an autonomous pastoral area.
A new pastoral centre has now been built and Pembroke became a parish on 8th December 2004.
The church is built over the ditch of the Roman city which also included a large part of Rabat.
The church is also built over the grotto where according to tradition St. Paul was kept prisoner during his three months stay in Malta in 60 A.D. In 1336 bishop Hilarius refers to the church as ecclesia Sancti Pauli de crypta , and also mentions the cemetery and the Roman ditch.
Several churches have been built on the site both by the diocese and the Knights of St. John. The present church was built with funds provided by the noble woman Guzmana Navarra on plans prepared by F. Bonamico.
The church was completed by Lorenzo Gafà in 1683.
San Pawl il-Baħar
Dedication date: 8 ta’ April 1979.
St. Paul’s bay has always been a summer resort, and with the increase of summer residents at the beginning of the present century St. Paul’s Sanctuary became too small.
The Countess Anna Bugeja, in remembrance of the 1900 Holy Year, built a church dedicated to the Sorrows of Our Lady and gave it to the Franciscan Conventuals.
The church became a parish in 1905 and was considerably enlarged in 1960-1979.
Parroċċa Immakulata Omm Il-Knisja
Il-knisja tal-Ibraġ inbniet fl-1966 u b’Digriet tas-6 ta’ Novembru 1989 twaqqfet żona awtonoma ġdida maqtugħa mill-parroċċi ta’ Birkirkara, San Ġiljan u Ħal Għargħur. Fl-4 t’April 1999 saret parroċċa u llum tiġbor fiha l-oqsma ta’ St Andrew, Is-Swieqi, L-Ibraġ, Upper Gardens, High Ridge, Victoria Gardens u l-Madliena.
The Church at Ibraġ was built in 1966 and by an episcopal Decree dated 6 November 1989, an autonomous pastoral zone was established in an area which previously formed part of the parishes of Birkirkara, St. Julian’s and Għargħur. On the 4th April 1999, this zone became a Parish and comprises these areas: St Andrew, Swieqi, Ibraġ, Upper Gardens, High Ridge,
Victoria Gardens and Madliena.
Il-festa titulari : Immakulata Kunċizzjoni: It-8 ta’ Diċembru
The locality of Mtarfa, formerly part of the parish of Rabat, has had a considerable increase in the population during the last years.
For several years the church of St. Lucia served the pastoral needs of the people residing at Mtarfa; with the departure of the British military forces St. Oswald’s chapel, which was the chapel of the military hospital, was used instead.
It was declared an Automomous Pastoral Zone on 19th April 2000, and was declared a parish on the 8th December 2004.