Recently a long controversy was carried out in some local papers about its name: Għargħur or Gargur?
Ancient records like the Militia list (1419-20) and the earliest parish documents call it Casali Grigori, Casal Gregorio, Casal Gargur. In certain maps of those times it appears as San Gregorio, or Gregorio, or Galgour. Throughout history the Maltese had a popular devotion to St. Gregory the Great, and in our village near Tal-Ferħa there was a chapel dedicated to him, mentioned by Mons.Dusina (1575). Even today in the vicinity a few fields are known as “ta’ Girgor”.
Since 1419-20 the name has undergone a series of variations by notaries and history writers. Agius de Soldanis gives Gargur and Għargħur; Vassalli’s Lexicon includes Għargħur, Gregorius, Gregorio, Ħal Għargħur (column 321). After him Ħal Għargħur gained ground, while Gargur was still in vogue up to Second World War. Today official documents give Ħal Għargħur. History lovers are divided. Others follow their sentimental preferences.
Ħal Għargħur is one of the smallest villages in Malta having an area of around 2 square kilometres and a population of about 2,773 people. It is a characteristic rural village situated between Naxxar and Madliena to the west and east respectively The locality is an important example of a typical village still today surrounded by rural areas of good quality agricultural land. This provides for the quiet, serene atmosphere found within this locality with abundant green natural areas around it. Ħal Għargħur still retains a natural delineation all around the village, separating it entirely from surrounding localities. The village possesses a particular rural setting and character, which is important to conserve and protect.
The urban part of Ħal Għargħur is predominantly residential in character with a typical village core surrounding the prominent church and square. Commercial and retail activities are limited to local shopping provision mainly within the Church area.
Some of the best examples of areas of ecological value are found bordering Ħal Għargħur. These include Wied Anġlu, Wied il-Faħam, Wied ta’ Santa Marija taż-Żellieqa, Wied ta’ Piswella, Wied ta’ Santa Katerina and Wied id-Dis. The Great Fault also passes within the limits of Ħal Għargħur. Ħal Għargħur in fact is situated on high ground and its prominent position overlooking the coast of Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq was found suitable for the location of the existing Broadcasting Transmission Station (previously the ex-Naval Signal Station). The Victoria Lines (1870-1899), a historical feature with recreational and tourism potential, is also present in the locality.
Your Local Councillors
Your Local Councillors
Council Mission & Values
Our mission is:
- To conduct with integrity the Council’s operations by managing effectively the resources available to us, identifying the threats and opportunities of our locality and planning diligently for the future.
- To contribute towards the continued development of our locality and to the well being of its community with the main aim of ameliorating the standard of living of our residents.
- To deploy effectively our resources to ensure a sustained development of our locality.
- To strengthen our position as one of Malta’s foremost Local Council’s, satisfying our residents’ needs with efficiency and quality of service.
- To invest in the sustained development of our residents rewarding altruism and initiative within a caring environment.
The Values of the Hal Gharghur Local Council are:
- Effective and employment of the resources for the benefit of our locality and residents.
- Respect for the viewpoints and beliefs of all members of our community.
- Encouragement of a sustainable amelioration of the locality’s infrastructure.
- Just and open administration of Council business.
- Commitment to provide the highest level of service to our residents.