- Domestice Refuse Collection
- Bulky Refuse Collection Timetable
- Links to Government Services
- Local Directory 1
- Local Directory 2
- Monuments & Chapels - A Summary
Malta Public Transport-https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/bus-card-and-ticketing
Certifikati GOV- https://secure2.gov.mt/certifikati/CertificateForms.aspx
Heritage Passport- https://heritagemalta.org/seniorpassport/login/
Active ageing- https://activeageing.gov.mt/onlineforms/Pages/A-Z-List.aspx
The Electoral Commission- https://electoral.gov.mt/doornumbering2018-mt
Street Lighting- http://220.127.116.11/NDJC/2018_rt_slpm/RTTemplates/slmgs_main.htm
Life Long Learning–https://lifelonglearningcourses.gov.mt/login
Guze Ellul Mercer – He was a playwright, poet, novelist and a politician. Although he was not from Dingli, Ellul Mercer kept this locality at heart. His life-size monument stands in Misrah il-Mafkar over from his favorite area.
Guze’ Abela – a read a doctorate in laws and practiced as public notary throughout his career. He was a politician and served as a Minister of Finance between 1971 and 1979. His bust is located near the Dingli Church in a square named after him.
Franics Ebejer – Was born in Dingli at 1925 and became English teacher. He wrote in English as much as in Maltese, and he started his writing career by penning radio, television plays and short story booklets some of which were published in New York between the years 1980 – 1992. His monument is located in the center of Dingli in Main Street.
San Pawl tal-Pitkali – The statue of San Pawl tal-Pitkali is over 150 years old. It is situated less than 100 meters away from the cliffs. This was used as a chapel for farmers.
St Mary Magdalene chapel – It dates back to the fifteenth century and is mentioned in the record as a lawsuit that were annotated in 1482. St. Mary Magdalene chapel was rebuilt on the cliffs edge in 1646 and has one altar. On July 22nd, a Mass is celebrated to commemorate the feast of the Saint.
St Domenika chapel – This chapel was built in the 25th of February 1669 by Baron Mark Anton Inguanez. The chapel is in Rill Street.
Saint Mary’s Parish Church – The parish church dedicated to the Assumption of Saint Mary. The Church was built in 1605 on of the highest locations on the islands. The Belfries of the church provide the highest viewing platform over the Maltese archipelago. The feast of Saint Mary is celebrated in August (Sunday following the 15th of August).
Għajn tal-Ħasselin – A flight of stairs next to Saint Domenica chapel leads to a natural spring esplanade with a fountain known as Għajn tal-Ħassaelin. l-Għajn was an important water source for the location when water did not run in taps. It was used mostly for washing and must have been a social meeting point for the community.
- Social Life
- Further History of Ħal-Għargħur
- Important Telephone Numbers
- Refuse Collection Shedule 2020
- Kelmtejn fuq 'Postijiet ta' Interess'
- Other Council Services
Up to the nineteen sixties, the village was a socially confined area; now the people mixed enough in all aspects of life: families from urban areas and a number of foreigners have settled within its boundaries. Today many young families live in the outlying estates of Xwieki, Żagħruna, Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq. The population is about 2000.
Social life has changed with the times. Maltese laws concerning education improved the condition of the villagers. Before the Second World War only a few youngsters reached secondary level; but today a considerable number proceed to the university.
Among the foremost sons of this village we must mention: Prof.Stephen Zerafa the Botanist (1791-1871), Fra John Dominic Mifsud twice doctor and Parish Priest of Naxxar (1642-1722), Mons.Peter Bartolo Parish Priest of Xewkija (Gozo) and Ħaż-Żebbuġ (Malta) (1821-1900), Mons.Prof.Luigi Catania University Professor and Parish Priest of Ħaż-Żabbar (1898-1943), Camelo Sant local poet / bee-master / youngsters’ instructor. Ignatius Sant St. John’s Co-Cathedral organist (1897-1961).
(Article written by Rev. Carmelo Bezzina)
Ħal Għargħur Parish Church
The small village of Ħal Għargħur formed part of Naxxar until it became parish later. When Mons. Peter Dusina visited Ħal Għargħur in 1575 he reported that there were quite a few families living there and there were five small chapels. These were: The chapel of the Assumption of our Lady (Taż-Żellieqa). St. Bartholomew Apostle, St. Mary (Ta’ Bernarda) St. Nicholas of Bari and St. John the Baptist.
Later on the population in Ħal Għargħur increased so much that they asked the bishop to separate the village from Naxxar as there was also quite a distance between the two villages and the bishop granted their request and made Ħal Għargħur a separate parish in 1598. So he appointed a curate to take spiritual care of the small community village. The parish of Naxxar Rev. Fr. Julian Borg objected strongly about the separation of Ħal Għargħur from Naxxar and as he was quite old the bishop suspended the new parish not to trouble Fr. Borg till his death which happened in 1610; and so on July 16, 1610 Mons. Gargallo made Ħal Għargħur a parish and appointed Rev. Fr. John Baptist Chetcuti D. D. J. U. D. to be the first Parish Priest of the Village.
At first the people used the small church of St. John the Baptist as their parish church, but as the congregation increased it was felt that a larger church was needed. The parish priest and the people decided to build the new church on top of the hill on the site of a small chapel dedicated to St. Bartholomew. They chose Tommaso Dingli of Attard to draw the plan of the new church and take charge of the building. Dingli was only 19years old when he planned the church in the shape of a latin cross. The church consists of a nave, two transepts, a sanctuary or choir with valuated ceiling, a dome in the centre and two sacristies. The church is 115ft long and 25 ft wide and from one transept to the other is 85 ft wide.
The style of the church is Doric. The main apse and the two lateral apses in both transepts together with the four arches of the altars in the nave are all decorated with columns and sculptured in Baroque style.
The vaulted ceiling is divided into octagonal spaces with stucco rosettes in the centre of each space. The same type of stucco decoration is to be seen in the apses above the main door together with that found in the stone and on stucco are covered with gold leaf and this gives the church a very rich appearance.
The four triangular spaces between the four arches beneath the dome are decorated with figures of the four evangelists painted by Prof. Joseph Briffa of B’Kara about 50 years ago.
Around the church there are various altars; there are four in the nave. The one near the Baptismal Font is dedicated to Our Lady of Good Counsel flanked on either side by St. Sebastian and St. Roche painted by Francesco Zahra. Opposite it we find the altar of St. Francis de Paola showing the Saint blessing a lamb with other friars; the author is unknown. Next to the pulpit we find the altar dedicated to our Lady of the Girdle showing our Lady carrying the child Jesus and on either side St. Augustine and St. Gregory. This painting is by Roccu Buhagiar. Opposite to it we find the altar dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, a genuine copy of Murillo, made by two Italian artists Rinaldi an Avandero in 1904.
On the left hand transept there is the altar dedicated to our Lady of the Holy Rosary, flanked by St. Dominic and St. Catherine of Siena by an unknown artist; next we find the altar of the agony of our Lord, a beautiful painting by Lazzaro Pisani in 1915.
On the right transept we find the altar of the Holy Family or St. Joseph Cali. This is one of the Cali’s best works in our church. Next we find the altar of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and St. Michael the Archangel by Cali.
Behind the main altar there is the main painting showing the martyrdom of St. Bartholomew, our Patron Saint, painted by Joseph Cali in 1902. Before this painting there used to be another by Emmanuel Perren, painted in the seventeenth century. It was unfortunately destroyed at the end of last century. The apse is all sculptured in baroque style and surmounted by six large pillars decorated and gilded. On either side between the pillars there are two large statues sculptured in stone representing the two apostles Peter and Paul.
On either side of the apse above the clergy stalls there are two large paintings, one showing the Nativity of Jesus and the other the Last Supper; both paintings are by Francesco Zahra painted in the seventeenth century. All paintings in our church were cleaned and restored by Alfred Briffa quite recently.
Other works of art are to be seen in the sacristy and in the church hall upstairs. In the sacristy there is an old painting representing St. Bartholomew Apostle by Gaspare Formica, two oval paintings one showing St. Joseph and another St. Pancratius by Cali, portraits of Rev. John Gafa and Catherine Sammut, two church benefactors and Blessed Dominic Mifsud a Franciscan who hailed from Ħal Għargħur .
In the hall there are various paintings amongst which there is a beautiful wooden triptych, in the centre of which there is the crucifixion, with St. John and Our Lady, and on either side there are St. Bartholomew and St. Paul Apostles. There is a large painting showing St. Nicholas of Bari by Gaspare Formica and others small paintings by Calleja, Cali and other artists. The main altar is made of coloured marbles made in 1736 during the time when Rev. Saviour Zarb was Parish Priest. The Tabernacle upon this altar is adorned with silver, gold and precious stones, donated by people of Ħal Għargħur . Our parish church was solemnly consecrated in 1736 by Bishop Mons. Fra Paulus Alpheran de Bussan when Rev. Fr. Zarb was parish of Ħal Għargħur.
Without any doubt the most beautiful work of art in the church is the statue of St. Bartholomew sculptured from a tree trunk by Melchoir Gafa in Rome in 1666. This statue was finished in Malta by Francesco Zahra and brought over to Ħal Għargħur in 1772. This famous statue is one of the best on the island admired by all those who see it.
There are other statues in our church such as the statue of St. Joseph by Carlo Darmanin, statue of St. Michael by Agostino Camilleri of Gozo and the statue of Our Lady by Kalcidon Mangion of Ħal Għargħur . There is also a set of statues representing various episodes from the Passion of Our Lord used in the Good Friday procession at the present held each year on Palm Sunday; four of the statues are work of Carlo Darmanin whilst the other two are by Kalcidion Mangion.
The church is embellished with beautiful ornaments during the feast days. The walls are covered with red palm damask which was made about 100 years ago. Silver oil lamps hang in front of the altars round the church together with the large one in front of the Blessed Sacrament, the silver processional cross and other silver ornaments; the gold embroideries on silk and red velvet, the wooden carved candle-sticks used on the altars, crystals chandeliers and other decorations.
The facade of the church was built in 1743. It is built in a style different from that of the interior of the church. The old facade made by Dingli was quite different from the present one. It is slighting higher than the church roof and at the back of the frontispiece there are sculptured ornaments probably from the old church. The two bell towers contain six bells, two small ones and four large ones. The two large bells were made in Malta by Triganza one in 1782 and the other in 1793. The balustraded parvis in front of the church has four statues representing the four Evangelists, that of St. John was made quite recently by Marco Montebello; that of St. Matthew made by Fr. Ellul; the others are by unknown artist.
From 1610 to the present there have been 26 parish priests. Three of these are worth mentioning of their hard work for the church and the people of Ħal Għargħur; these are:
1) Rev. Fr. John Baptist Chetcuti D.D. J. U. D. who worked hard for the building of our parish church. He was parish priest for 56 years.
2)Rev. Fr. Saviour Zarb from Ħal Għargħur . He was the only parish priest from the village and held office for 57 years during which the main marble altar was built. He worked hard for the consecration of the Parish church which was held on 22nd April 1736 by Bishop Mons. Fra Paulus Alpheran De Bussan. On his initiative the state of St. Bartholomew was brought to our church and in 1782 the large bell cast by Triganza was acquired. He died in 1783 and was buried in the church.
3) Rev. Fr. Saviour Gaffiero from Senglea. Though he held office for only a few years he worked hard amongst the parishioners. During his office, cholera broke out a small hospital was opened in our village. Fr Gaffiero held the post if Head of hospital; he refused any salary but worked only for the love of God and to serve people. He was transferred to Floriana as archpriest, and then he was nominated Monsignor of the Cathedral. He was chosen to serve as Vicar general and later became an Auxiliary Bishop.
These few notes give a short description and history of our Parish Church. They may also serve as guide for the visitor.
(Article written by Lino Wettinger)
Churches and Chapels
Within the village, besides the chapel dedicated to St.John the Baptist, said to date from 1223/25 A.D, there are two small chapels dedicated to the Assumption of Our Lady: one is called “ta’ Bernarda”, in Triq il-Kbira, endowed by Bernarda Cauchi in 1571 though built much earlier, and the other is known as “Taż-Żellieqa” (1560); this name comes perhaps from the slippery approach to the church before the stairs were made.
But of course, the most impressive building is the parish church at the centre of the village. In 1575, the people had already manifested to Mons. Dusina (the Apostolic Visitor) the need to be an independent parish, for a convenient administration of the sacraments as well as for Sunday and Holy Days Mass. In 1598, Ħal Għargħur obtained this right from Bishop Gargallo. But Oppositions from the Naxxar Parish Priest Julian Borg delayed actual independence by twelve years.
After Borg’s death, Mons. Gargallo effected the creation of our parish on the 16th July 1610, together with that of Mosta. The first parish priest Fr.John Baptist Chetcuti, a learned energetic pastor immediately decided to build the parish church. Young Thomas Dingli, well known enough for the churches be built later, designed the structure, and in 1612 work was started. The same Fr.Chetcuti was fortunate enough to see its completion; he served Ħal Għargħur parish for 56 years.
The church was dedicated to St.Bartholomew, the Apostle, because it stands on the site of a former chapel that bore his name. Through the years it has been enriched with artistic works: altar pieces, marbles, stone carving, wood-work, gilding, silverware, bells, statues, etc.
The statue of the patron saint remains the dearest treasure. It was brought incomplete from Rome in 1771 for the price of Lm 10.27c(€23.92) in today’s money. The feast is held on the 24th August or the following Sunday.
(Article written by Rev.Carmelo Bezzina)
L-istatwa ta’ San Bartilmew tibqa’ l-iktar teżor maħbub. Inġabet mhix kompluta minn Ruma fl-1771, għall-prezz ta’ Lm10.27 (€23.92) fi flus tal-lum. Il-festa ssir fl-24 ta’ Awwissu jew fil-Ħadd ta’ wara.
- Ħal Għargħur Local Council 2141 4111 / 2741 4111
- Ħal Għargħur Parish Priest 2741 3488
- Ħal Għargħur Police Station 2141 2416
- Naxxar Police Station 2143 7003 / 2143 7004
- Police Headquarters 2122 4004
- Emergency 112
- F.M. Helicopter Rescue 2124 4371/ 2182 4212
- F.M. Patrol Boat Rescue 2123 8797/ 2122 5040
- Ambulance 196
- Mater Dei Hospital 2545 0000
- Child & Adult Abuse Support Line 179 – 8007 2377
- Consumer Competition Division 120
- Government Information Service 153
- Go Telephone Faults 80072121
- Enemalta Mosta District 22981600
- Flight Enquiries 5004 3333
- Malta International Airport 2124 9600
- Telephone Enquiries 1182
- Weather Forecast 21284308
- Gozo Channel 24 Hour Service 21556114
Postijiet ta’ Interess
Marbutin ma’ żmien l-Għarab hemm dar Islamika fi Triq il-Ġdida u dekorazzjoni Ġħarbija fil-faċċata ta’ forn antik fi Sqaq Warda. Dan il-forn bid-dar miegħu qed jerġa’ jkun restawrat. Għadhom jidhru xi galleriji qodma. Għadd ta’ niċeċ bi statwi differenti jiġbdu l-attenzjoni ta’ min ikun għaddej.
Fit-tarf tat-tramuntana tar-raħal, hemm il-Palazz tal-Kmand, mibni fl-1803A.D., b’kitba bit-Taljan fuq il-bieb ewlieni u ġġib l-ismijiet tar-Re Ġorġ III u Alexander Ball.
F’għalqa qrib tal-Ferħa hemm kamra kwadrata stramba li ġġib is-sena 1742, u aktarx tonda fuq ġewwa. Il-ħajt ta’ barra aktarx kien miżjud wara biex isaħħaħ il-kostruzzjoni ta’ ġewwaġ ġebel ta’ qies megalitiku jagħlaq waħda fuq l-oħra lejn is-saqaf. Huwa diffiċli li taqta’ għal liema għan inbniet b’dan il-mod, u ġġiegħlek tistħajjel li kienet xi kappella żgħira mibnija b’mod goff. Setgħet tkun mibnija bħala biċċerija żgħira għal bhejjem kbar, imdendlin ma’ ġebla mtaqqba, ħierġa mis-saqaf. Kanal żgħir jgħaqqad din il-kamra ma’ bir fil-qrib biex id-demm iqattar fih.
(Artiklu miktub minn Dun Karm Bezzina)
Il-komunita’ ta’ Ħal Għargħur tinsab mifruxa fuq għolja maqtugħa għaliha li tagħti ‘l isfel b’veduti li jistorduk. Ir-raħal u l-kampanja li ddur miegħu jgħoddu ħafna għal dawra ta’ nofs ta’ nhar u xi ritratti mill-aħjar.
Imdawra fuq kull naħa b’art agrikola, il-lokalita’ kwieta u kalma ta’ Ħal Għargħur, mimlija b’xeħta partikolari u tal-post fost komunita’ żgħira. Fuq kull naħa tar-raħal hemm żewġ widien, Wied id-Dis u Wied Anġlu li huma meqjusa ta’ importanza ekoloġika partikolari. Il-kotra ta’ nħawi ħodor madwar ir-raħal kollu jagħtu lil dan ir-raħal għamla kampanjola partikolari li iktar ngħodduha tixbaħ lil dik ta’ Għawdex, oħt il-gżira ta’ Malta.
Fi triqitna lejn Ħal Għargħur, waqt li ngħaddu mill-Madliena, tara l-bini militari ta’ żmien ir-Reġina Vittorja, il-madliena fil-quċċata ta’ għolja (oħra) fuq ix-xellug tiegħek. Din il-fortizza s-soltu tinfetaħ is-Sibt wara nofs in-nhar. Tara wkoll taqsima tal-ħajt ta’ difiża magħrufa bħala l-Victoria Lines, li nbena lejn tmiem is-seklu dsatax. Dan il-ħajt baxx ta’ difiża iserrep fuq għoljiet u f’nofs irħula, bejn wieħed u ieħor parallel mal-Isfrondar il-Kbir (Great Fault) li jaqsam il-gżira mil-Lvant għall-Punent ta’ Malta. Jibda minn riġel il-Madliena u jintemm f’Binġemma.
L-istess triq twasslek ħdejn pont li jaqsam il-wied magħruf bħala Wied id-Dis. Għaddi minn fuqu u ibda oqrob lejn ir-raħal ta’ Ħal Għargħur. Wara ftit minuti imxi matul Triq il-Ġnien u fuq ix-xellug tiegħek tara dak li hu magħruf bħala l-Palazz tal-Kmand, mibni fl-1803. Il-kitba li hemm fuq il-bieb ewlieni hija bit-Taljan, u ġġib l-ismijiet tar-Re Ġorġ III u l-ewwel gvernatur Ingliż ta’ Malta Sir Alexander Ball.
Issa tkun wasalt ‘il fuq b’veduti tal-kampanja tħaddar u tax-xtajta tal-bajja ‘White Rocks’. Int tkun ukoll qed tapprezza għaliex Ħal Għargħur huwa mfittex mill-Maltin ghal mixjiet tal-Ħdud. Ftit iktar ‘il fuq inti tasal ħdejn il-kappella ta’ Tlugħ fis-sema tal-Madonna, mibnija fl-1560 u magħrufa bħala taż-Żellieqa, aktarx mir-rampa tiżloq li l-insara kellhom jitħabut biex jitligħu sal-kappella fl-imgħoddi.
Mill-kappella ibqa’ tiela’ dritt ‘il fuq, fuq il-lemin tiegħek, idħol fit-triq imsejħa ‘Triq Għaxqet l-Għajn’ (Eye’s Delight Road). Ħal Għargħur qiegħed fuq waħda mill-ogħla naħat ta’ Malta, u għalhekk tagħti veduta mill-isbaħ tan-naħa ta’ fuq tal-gżira u tax-xatt speċjalment mill-belvedere tax-xifer li jħares guq il-baħar li n-nies tal-post draw isejħulu ‘The Top of the World’ – il-quċċata tad-dinja. Issib dan il-post f’tarf Triq Għaxqet l-Għajn. L-antenna l-kbira li tara fuq ix-xellug tiegħek waqt lit għaddi lejn dan il-post favorit, hija l-istazzjon tat-trasmissjoni radjofonika ta’ Malta, mibni fuq is-sit ta’ stazzjon tas-sinjali fit-Tieni Gwerra Dinjija.
Ħal Għargħur hu post favorit għal mixjiet tal-Ħadd fost il-Maltin. Mixja fil-qalba tar-raħal ċkejken iżda li jsaħħrek mhux ta’ min jitlifha.
Kif Tasal Hemm
B’Tal-Linja. Biex tmur dritt f’Ħal Għargħur aqbad il-karozza numru 35 jew 36 li titlaq mill-venda tal-Belt Valletta. Biex tara l-iskeda tal-ħinijiet agħfas hawn.
Jekk tieħu l-Coast Road imxi mas-sinjali lejn il-Madliena u mbagħad lejn Ħal Għargħur.
Mit-Top of the World (il-quċċata tad-dinja) inti tista tehodha bil-mixi matul mogħdija li twasslek sal-qalba tar-raħal. Inkella tista’ timxi jew issuq matul Triq Għaxqet l-Għajn u tibda d-dawra tiegħek fil-qalba tar-raħal mill-għolja li tibda minn ras it-triq.
Mixja fil-qalba tar-raħal ċkejken iżda li jsaħħrek mhux ta’ min jitlifha. Fittex ir-rabta Għarbija f’dar li qiegħda fi Triq il-Ġdida kif ukoll dar magħquad ma’ forn fi Sqaq Warda b’faċċata fi stil Għarbi. M’hemmx dubju li għadd ta’ galleriji u niċeċ mal-ħajt, u mitħna mibdula f’dar jiġbdu l-attenzjoni tiegħek.
Meta tkun f’Ħal Għargħur, tħallix barra żjara lill-knisja parrokkjali, li qiegħda fil-pjazza tar-raħal u hi dedikata lil San Bartilmew, li għandha sa mill-ewwel nofs tas-seklu sbatax. Għalkemm xi ftit żgħira, imqabbla ma’ oħrajn, din il-knisja turi l-kobor ta’ ħsieb u devozzjoni tan-nies tar-raħal li, matul is-sekli offrew biex tinbena u tissebbaħ.
L-istatwa tal-qaddis padrun tar-raħal inġabet mill-Italja fl-aħħar snin tas-seklu tmintax. Meta tkun iddur mal-qalba tar-raħal, il-koppla tal-knisja tista’ tagħmilha għalik punt ta’ referenza biex timxi fid-direzzjoni t-tajba.
Ir-raħal stess jista’ jiftaħar b’kappellel oħra, fosthom waħda dedikata lil San Ġwann Battista fi Triq San Gwann, li jgħidu li għandha mill-1223, u oħra dedikata lil San Nikola fi Triq San Nikola.
Tista’ tieqaf tieħu snack fil-Każin tal-Banda San Bartilmew jew wieħed mill-barijiet l-oħra fil-pjazza tar-raħal jew madwarha.
Fi triqtek barra minn Ħal Għargħur lejn in-Naxxar minn Triq San Ġwann, ieqaf biex tagħti ħarsa lejn is-Semaforu, it-Torri tas-Sinjali fuq il-lemin tiegħek. Dan inbena mill-Ingliżi f’nofs is-snin 1800. Hekk kif titbiegħed minnu int issib mitħna oħra mibdula f’residenza.
(Artiklu miktub minn Leonard Zammit Munro)
Payment of Police & Local Warden’s Contraventions
Payments are accepted at the Local Council’s Office daily during office hours.
Payment of Rents on Government property
Payments are accepted at the Local Council’s Office daily during office hours.
Trading Licenses Payment
Trading Licenses may be renewed at the Local Council’s Office. Renewal notice is to be presented upon payment.
When reporting a burnt-out lamp please note to include the 3 digit reference number placed on most lamps e.g. W013/24.
The public concenience is situated in Triq San Ġwann and is opened daily including Sundays and Public Holidays.
1st October – 31st March: 7:00am – 7:00pm
1st April – 30th September: 7:00am – 9:00pm
Permits covering the undermentioned are issued upon application to the Local Council
Organisation of outdoor activities held in the locality Placement of skips Installment of temporary mobile kiosks (during village feast or Good Friday Procession ) Crane and other construction machinery/equipment service in the locality
Information leaflets about the locality as well as other material of general interest are available free of charge from the Local Council’s Offices.
Various application forms are also available from the Local Council’s Office. These include :
Provision of Birth Certificates. Provision of Death Certificates. Provision of Marriage Certificates Renewal/Issue of Passport. Declaration of commencement of new employment / termination of employment -ETC Application for refund of VAT paid on expenses connected with a wedding function Application for refund of VAT on expenses connected with a funeral. GO – Application forms Application forms for courses organised by the Department of Education Application forms for the participation in Skolasports. Arms and Enemalta forms Home help assistance for the elderly Forms for the provision of Handyman service for the elderly Application forms for the provision of Telecare service National Commission for Disabled Persons – application forms for : – Special ID card, Reserved Parking, social assistance service, disabled persons parking permit
Il-Gargur – In-Nies u l-Knejjes Tiegħu
Author: Francis Pace. An informative and well researched book which may be purchased from the Local Council’s Offices during office hours. The price of this book is 7 Euro.
Agħraf wirt ir-raħal tiegħek
Author : John Sare. The book may be purchased from the Local Council’s Offices during office hours. The price of this book is 10 Euro.
The Hilltop Village Four Walks in this Charming Old Village
Author : Julian Bezzina. The book may be purchased from the Local Council’s Offices during office hours. The price of this book is 2.50 Euro. A Maltese version of the book is available.
Lapel badges bearing the locality’s Coat of Arms may be purchase for 3.50 Euro each from the Local Council’s offices during office hours.
- Waste Management Services
- Historical Places
- Other Services
- Appostolat Ħniena Divina
- Azzjoni Kattolika Nisa
- Djakonija Parroċċa Santa Maria Mġarr (part of Caritas)
- Għaqda Sajjieda Dilettanti Ġnejna
- Kumitat Partit Laburista Mġarr
- Mgarr Farmers’ Cooperative Society Ltd
- Mġarr Tennis Club
- Mġarr Volleyball Club
- Mgarr Shotokan Karate Club – MKF
- Socjetà Filarmonika Marija Mtellgħa s-Sema
All waste should be taken out of 7:00am, infront of the residence door and not infront of other residents or corners of streets.
Black Bag– Collected every Monday, Thursday and Saturday. Those residing in hamlets such as Binġemma, Santi, Palma etc should contact the local council for more information.
Organic Bag – Collected every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Those residing in hamlets such as Binġemma, Santi, Palma etc should contact the local council for more information.
Grey Bag – Collected every Tuesday and Friday. These bags should contain paper, metal and plastic.
Glass Collection – Collected on the first Friday and third Friday of the month..
Bulky Refuse – Collection is carried out every Tuesday. Those who would like to make use of this free of charge service are encouraged to contact the Local Council Administrative Office.
Civic Amenity sites – www.wasteservmalta.com/facilities
- Ta’ Skorba Temples, Triq l-Imqades
- Ta’ Hagrat Temples – Triq San Pietru
- Roman Baths – Gnien Ghajn Tuffieha
- Ghajn Tuffieha Coastal Tower
- Lippija Coastal Tower
- Jewish Tombs – Bingemma
- Victoria Lines
- World War II Shelter – Wesghat il-Gublew
- Silos – Palma
- Mgarr Primary School / Kullegg San Nikola
- Il-Bajja tal-Gnejna
- Il-Bajja t’Ghajn Tuffieha (Riviera)
- Fomm ir-Rih
Although Imġarr is a small village, it is filled with picturesque locations where one can identify characteristics from every period. This western village is probably one of the oldest villages in the Maltese Islands.
Since the coming of the Sicilians, this village has lived the most beautiful and traumatic episodes that Malta had to go through. Every ruler has left a footprint in Imġarr.Namely we find: megalithic temples, punic tombs, ancient quarries, Roman remains including the Baths situated in Ġnien Għajn Tuffieħa andtwo towers left by the Knights of St John.
This village is considered as one of the most beautiful villages of Malta. Surrounded by fertile land and three harbours known as Fomm ir-Riħ, Ġnejna and Għajn Tuffieħa (Riviera).
Customer Care – For any type of queries and suggestions one can inform the council where action is taken by the council or passed on to the concerned entuties. At the council one can find gorms of various entities and offers photocopy and printing on small amounts.
Permits – The Local Council issues permits for: skips,activities, bbqs, machinery, use of tablesand chairs,and kiosks. Those in need of a permit should come three days prior the date of permit and should bring theiridentity card.
Payments – We accept paymentsforthe following: landrent, tradelicenses, and contraventions. Those wishing to appeal any contravention may do so by doing itonline onwww.les.gov.mt/or send a letter to the Petitions Board, PO Box 41, Valletta or go to their tribunal appointment at addresses below:
- Reġjun Tramuntana, 112, Triq Ġulju, San Pawl il-Baħar
- Reġjun Ċentru, Kunsill Lokali tal-Imsida, Pjazza Menqa, l-Imsida
- Reġjun Nofsinhar, 395, Triq ir-Rebħa, Ħal Qormi
- Reġjun Xlokk, 73, Triq Santa Marija, Ħal Tarxien
- Reġjun Għawdex, Banca Guratele, Vjal l-Indipendenza, Victoria, Għawdex
Heritage tickets–As from September 2010, the Imġarr Local Council began to issue tickets for Ta’ Ħaġrat and Ta’ Skorba. These sites open daily 9:00am till 16:30pm (last admission at 16:00pm). The prices are: adults €6.00, seniors €5.00, students €5.00,children from 11-16 years €4.50.Seniors and students should present an identification card.
Leader– Ms. Antonia Abela Helper–Ms. Katie Sant
Helper– Ms. Tessie Vella Tel –21575630
This group organizes an hour of adoration every first Thursday of the month in Mgarr Parish Church between 10: 30am and 11: 30am, and half an hour in the evening adoration after mass. Organizing the feast of Divine Mercy on the second Sunday Easter and on St. Faustina Feast in October 5 – nine days before any feast begin the novena in the Church after Mass time.
The objectives of this apostolate are:
- Communicating and live the message of the Divine Mercy as revealed to St. Faustina Kawalska
- Pray for God’s Mercy over the world and offer prayers to the priests, for vocations, for the conversion of humanity and for the souls of purgatory.
- Moving on the same example of Saint Faustina Kowalska in her love to God and neighbor in the simplicity of life and the full confidence she had in God.
President – Ms. Jane Deguara Deputy– Ms. Maria Camilleri
Secretary – Ms. Anna Ebejer Tel – 21581901
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Informazzjoni dwar l-għaqda –
The Nisa Azzjoni Kattolika ismadeupofa groupofwomenwhomeeteveryWednesdayfrom9.00amto10.00amintheOratory Qalb Bla Tebgha ta’ Marija,TriqSanPawl.Togetherwediscusscurrenttopicswith theguidanceofthe CatholicActionbrochureIl-Ħuġġieġaissued by theCentralCounciloftheCatholicAction. Ateachmeetingwehavea readingfromtheBiblewhichindicatesthe subjectfordiscussion.
Duringtheyearweorganizevariousactivities,bothspiritualandsocial,including amass. In September this group organises thepilgrimagetothesanctuaryofOurLadyofPinuinGozo.
The groupperformsa lotofotherworkonavoluntarybasisintheparishsuchasdoctrineteaching,churchcleaning,visitstosickhomes,etc.
President – Ms. Doris Vella Deputy – Ms Maria Muscat
Secretary – Ms Giovanna Bugeja Tel –21573251
We organize meetings and outings for the elderly. We visit the sick and people with special needs in their homes as well as in homes of the elderly and patients at Mount Carmel Hospital. We help families with social problems and organize European food distribution.
President – Mr. Victor Camilleri
Secretary– Mr. Tony Schembri Tel – 99451531
Website – www.ghaqdagnejna.webs.com
Email – email@example.com
The association was formed in 1992. To date it has about 170 members. Membership is open to anyone over 18 years who has a boat registered with fisheries or has a boathouse in Ġnejna Bay.
President – Mr. Gerald Muscat Deputy – Mr. Emanuel Borg
Secretary – Mr. Clayton Gauci Tel – 27443853
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Leader– Mr. Anthony Sammut Deputy – Mr. Carmelo Sammut
Secretary- Mr. Albert Borg Tel – 21582410
Website – www.mgarrfarmers.com
E-mail Address- email@example.com
The Mġarr Farmers ‘ Cooperative was founded in 1947 with around 180 members from the area. The cooperative is situated in Triq Sir Temi Zammit. The premises consist of a shop from where farmers can purchase various items, a meeting room and a bar. The management committee is appointed from among the members themselves at the annual general meeting held once a year. The Committee discusses the ongoing problems for farmers and liaises with the entities concerned.
President– Dr. Antoine Chircop Deputy – Mr. Bruno Cassar
Secretary – Ms. Suzanne Cutajar Tel –99498455
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
President – Mr. Silvio Camilleri Deputy- Mr. Charles Muscat
Secretary- Mr. Kurt Abela
Website – www.mgarrvolley.com
Email – email@example.com
The club was created to encourage public to participate in this sport. Our philosophy is to make sure that each participant feels part of the club.
President – Sensei James Galea 5th Dan Deputy–Sensei Joe Grima 3rd Dan
Secretary – Sensei Kenneth Abela 3rd Dan Tel –21585634 / 21580711
Addess – Hikari, Triq Fisher, L-Imġarr Malta
Mgarr Shotokan Karate Club is a branch of the Malta Karate Federation. Established in 1999 to give children, youth, adults and locals the opportunity to train in karate for a stronger and more fulfilling life. This organisation also promotes training in other martial arts including kickboxing and Ju Jitsu held by Sensei James Galea 5th Dan and James Grima This 33RD. Mgarr Shotokan Karate Club (MKF) is affiliated with the World Karate Federation, Maltese Maltese Council for Sport and Olympic Committee.
The Socjetà Filarmonika Marija Mtellgħa s-Sema was founded on 13 October 2011. This NGO is a voluntary and autonomous, and a cultural and social union.
The aim and functions are:
- First and foremost, the band.
- Disseminating culture through music
- Recreation for the members
- Musical services
- Participation in any social and religious feast carried out in the Mġarr, primarily on the titular feast
- Where feasible, grant philanthropic aid
Music lessons are made on an individual basis and free of charge. Mro Tancred Grech F.L.C. M, B.A. (Hons) music, L.L.C. M, P.G.C. takes care of the brass and percussion section while Mro. Charlie Pace takes care of the string instrument section. Assistant Mro Christopher Tanti B.A. (Hons) Music is responsible for the teaching the music theory. Mro. Andrea Cassar F.L.C. M, L.L.C. M conducts Music Buzz. These are sessions of primary music designed so to target children of 3 years of age to begin to admire the art of music.
Lessons are being made on Monday from 4pm onwards within the Local Council.
Electronic and electrical items (referred to as WEEE) are collected with the normal bulky items, however small WEEE items should be disposed of in the appropriate bin found at the entrance to the Local Council.
Non-Exhaustive List of EEE falling within the SIX Categories of EEE covered by S.L.549.89:
Contravention Payments (LES)
These can be paid at the Council between 8:00am and 12:00pm, by cash or cheque. If you wish to pay by cheque this needs to be made payable to LESA.
Contravention payments can also be made online by visiting this site www.les.gov.mt
Housing Rent Payments
These can be paid at the Council between 8:00am and 12:00pm, by cash or cheque which needs to be made payable to the Lands Commissioner.
- St Clare College, Pembroke Primary School
- St Clare College, Pembroke Secondary School
- St Clare College, Pembroke Primary School
- St Clare College, San Miguel Primary Education Resource Centre
- St Clare College, National Sports School
- Science Centre
- Malta Institute for Education
- Verdala International School
- Sprachcaffe Language School
- St Michael School
- St Michael Foundation
- Atlas Language School
- STC Higher Education
- Middlesex University (Malta)
- St Catherine’s High School
- AClass Academy of English
- AFM Plant Troop
- Malta Red Cross
- Special Rescue Group – Saint Lazarus Corps
- Payments related to Lands Authority, Malta Tourism Authority, LESA, Transport Malta, ect
- Payments related to skips, cranes, high-up’s, activities, ect
- Primary Health Care Services
- Public Library Services
San Pawl il-Baħar
For road works, machinery related to construction works, lifters & cherrypickers to render services or supplies. Permits for all public activities require a no objection document, issued by the Council.
Front offices process payments due to MTA, Housing Authority, Lands Authority and Lesa contraventions. (for the time being these have been suspended).
Organises music lessons in collaboration with Socjeta Mużikali San Pawl. The lessons are done online.
The Lifelong Learning Programme whereby various subjects are taught. This programme is organized in collaboration with Education Deparment (for the time being these have been suspended)
Computer Courses (for the time being these have been suspended)
Council Culture Activities
Wignacourt Tower Festival & Summer Carnival (for the time being these have been suspended)
San Pawl, Qawra, Burmarrad & Wardija
Utilities, Road Works and Public Transport
Heritage, Culture and Tourism